Wednesday, March 4, 2009

He put in his thumb...

And pulled out a plum,

And said "What a good boy am I!"



We had a lovely and unexpected visit from hubby's sister and her family earlier this week. Their youngest daughter is nearly 5 months old and I think I could just eat her up! Too cute, too cheeky, too chatty!! Simply gorgeous!
Lucky for us they came bearing gifts, namely a "small" bag of plums from hubby's mother's garden. Unreal! I love plums! She sent up a mixed bag of blood plums, prune plums and some other sort I don't know the name for. Now I need to spend a few minutes searching for good plum recipes, as I don't think we will get through them all and they are too good to waste. Plum muffins perhaps?? I need to give it some more thought.


Also, I stumbled across a vintage book of nursery rhymes that I had picked up along the way. I want to frame some with my sister for her new arrival. Well, she should have her baby by now, but her due date came and went over the weekend and now she is going simply stir-crazy. Planning some cute baby room decorating is a good way to distract her!



The artist of the book is Mabel Lucie Attwell, who was apparently well known in the late 1800's and early 1900's for her cherub-like illustrations. This book was one of her last before she passed in the 1960's. The pictures are simply gorgeous, but I only hesitated about pulling the book apart for a second, as some pages are already damaged and I don't read it to my girls as it is just too fragile.


Now I get to peruse and choose what nursery rhymes to frame!


Some are well known, but others I had not heard of previously, so it has been fun reading them. I will be sure to post the final framed results.
xx

1 comment:

The House That A-M Built said...

I had that book when I was a little girl! It's in a box somewhere. I will keep it forever. I still remember pouring over the pictures when I was young. Framing the pages for a nursery is a great idea! A-M xx